Sunday, January 9, 2011

DIY: A Fondant First

Last week I had my first experience with fondant. I wanted to decorate small sugar cookies for a Pink Elephant Baby Shower but I don't have the skills to do it with icing. So, I decided to give fondant a try even though I was feeling a little intimidated by the unknown. To my surprise, working with this sweet confection was fairly easy and lots of fun, not to mention the fact that it dressed up my little sugar cookies beautifully.


While I have to admit that it doesn't taste as yummy as a buttercream icing, it is a great option if you are looking for a way to dress up your cookies, cakes, or other treats and aren't gifted in the art of icing, like myself.

Here is how I did it:

I purchased Wilton's Ready-to-Use Rolled Fondant in pastel pink, a small Fondant Roller, and a mini elephant cookie cutter from my local craft store (Michael's).



I simply rolled the fondant out and used my elephant cookie cutter to cut out the elephant shape. I then used a toothpick to make an eye and took a small piece of fondant to shape an elephant ear by hand. I gently pressed the ear onto the elephant to make it stick and Wa-La! A cute little fondant elephant to dress up my sugar cookies.





I stored the fondant elephants in a cool, dry place in an air-tight container for about 1 week prior to the party. This allowed the fondant to harden up. On the day of party, I used a small amount of icing to adhere the fondant elephants to the sugar cookies.

See how easy that was. No need to be intimidated anymore!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are so sweet, great job and thank you for the pointers. I too have issues with icing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never worked with fondant either cuz it scares me LOL This doesn't look to hard and your cookies are absolutely adorable : )

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. They really were easy.... almost like playing with playdough. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete